Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A second post!

This post had no real place in the last post, but still remains on my mind. I hate this area of Southern Idaho for a vast amount of reasons. One of the most prominent is the stigma that you must marry young. I've seen so many people around here absurdly dive into a life long relationship based on little more than knowing their name and supposed life philosophy...which to me, is insanity. I have been dating my girlfriend Abidoobi now for almost two years. Yes we're in love and care about each other, and we still like being friends, and we work out as roommates, as well as financial partners, we compliment each other; in so many words we work really well together.

By no means am I in a hurry to get married.

Why? I don't know, there are a lot of legal repricussions for getting hitched, ontop of the fact that even with divorce being oh so simple now-a-days, (as well as having gone through one with my parents) I feel that marriage is something you do pretending divorce was not an option, ever. You commit to that person for life, and I have a hard time doing that unless I really understand the person.

Let me advertise this real quick before I start getting flamed for this post:

This is my personal feeling, and does not reflect upon anyone or their marital decisions. With that said, back to the post.

I have to spend years to truely get to know a person, because one year is nothing in the grand scheme of things. I've lived with some of my closest friends for years, and I still barely know them really... And I live with my current girlfriend, and she is my best friend, but we still don't know everything about each other, and God (ha!) willing, that will never change. I have no intent on ever leaving her, and yes we've discussed the "M" word, and agreed that waiting is what we both want.

Now here's where I don't care about people flaming me- she and I have been together longer than I'd say 30% of the married couples I know. That's not a small number either, considering I include relatives and old friends. So really, how do "know" that the person is right for you in a matter of a few months? Or are most people just kidding themselves in wanting sex or to fit the social norm? I don't have anyone in mind in saying any of this, I just could never make such a mega decision so lightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment