Saturday, January 22, 2011

Yessir...

So the other day I was at work when a community patron said"thank you sir"after I assisted her in finding materials for a report.this patron was obviously older than me, which begged me to ponder-when exactly did I become a"sir?"

I have been called sir before, but for the life of me, I don't know when I obtained that level of adultness. The first time I remember someone calling me sir in earnest was at the laundromat when a kid (about 10 years old) walked up to me and said "sir, your laundry is dry." It struck me odd, but the kid was polite and I was an adult by his standards and therefore a responsible (polite) sir was in order. Some time between then and last week I have become an official "sir."(not like a knight, but a professional...)

Positives: -people recognize maturity in me
- I have some authority as a library clerk
- I'm not mistaken for a teenager anymore
- People trust me and my abilities more

Negatives: - I'm getting older, damn.
- My bald spots probably have something to do with all this
- If I do something immature and stupid, people say I should know better and will probably not feel sympathy towards any damages occurred from said stupidity (broken bones from thinking I totally could do a backflip off of stairs [though I know a guy who can /jealous])
- I'm a sir...feel so damn old

I'm still conflicted whether I should take this as a positive or not...but this has bern on my mind for days.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment