Monday, February 7, 2011

And the flavor is...

So there is a trend I have noticed that exists within American (and many times British) popular culture, a trend of flavors if you will. They are not flavors as in, "stripey" or "vanilla" or "colorful" (though I'm sure those come and go in their own respects) I'm speaking of a more international flavor that popular culture focuses on. These flashes of worldly insight usually last only half a decade, but not usually more than a full decade.
To trend set, this is what I have down:
60's: Hindi music (thank you Beatles)
70's: British Invasion (punk, disco, metal..?)
early 80's: Native American
Late 80's/Early 90's: African (thank you Jackson, Gabriel, and probably a large list of others who wanted to Aid the world...)
Late 90's: I'm not too sure... Asian culture took over pretty steadily
Early 00's: Still a lot of Asian culture seeping in
Late 00's/early 10's: no clue. too early to tell really...

But I feel that these trends are pretty true. I am coming from mostly a musical idea behind this keep in mind, and I feel I can give a few good examples to support these if people really want to get into it, but that is only if they really feel it.

I always find societal trends fascinating because it happens by some unseen current that just sweeps over a large entity of people to become obsessed or immersed with another culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment