Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Blown

Not going to lie, when I know a piece, and feel confident about it, I love to perform, especially jazz. Tonight our university's Jazz big band had a performance at a local brewery, and to be honest, I feel really damn good about myself after it. My performing was in time, on pitch, and at the end of the concert it felt like I had run a marathon, which means I was doing it very right (or...very, very, wrong). In any case, I was able to blast some true pitches in the altissimo register which is something I have never attempted in public before, let alone succeeded with. This concert was a good marker of progress in how far I've come with my artistry on my horn. Yes, I am taking time to be a little egotistical, but it's my blog, and I can talk about myself on it.
I just remember my first concert at this university, how shaky I was; my total lack of confidence showing through at every turn; my improvisation being tarnished and barely in the key. Not to mention the charts we were reading were really difficult to me at the time, and now I look back through and really see how simple they were... But that does mean progress, so I am going to take this time to enjoy my feelings of self worth.

Oh, and for those of you who came, thankyou for your continued support! Even if I don't say anything to you when you're there, it does mean a lot that you show up!

No comments:

Post a Comment