Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Brain Drain

Seeing as how it is now halfway, through the midterm week, it seems appropriate for there to be a time of reflection on exactly where I've been, and how much longer I have. This is all related to college mind you...and I still have 1 3/4 years until I graduate. This isn't too long that I can't bear it, but after that is grad school and then, life. Am I prepared for life yet? no, so thank god I have 3 1/2 years before it slaps me in the face like a trout (see twitter).

Then there is to consider that this is in fact my fifth year of college, and I will graduate my sixth...advantage? I was able to sift through my growing years and come into a set idea of what a great career would be, and it was not what I began with. Disadvantage? well, to begin I will get my bachelors degree in 6 years, and that's with student loans to pay off. Plus I will still have 2 years of grad school.

For those of you who don't know- I wish to become a music librarian, which requires at the least an B.S. in music and an M.L.S/M.I.T.S (masters of library science/information technology science). At the most I could get a MMLS (same as above, just with music specifically), tagged with a Masters in Musicology (which is only a couple more classes if you actually look, but it does add another semester...). Then comes the true struggle of finding a job-but that is a stress I can postpone for a couple years.

If you are wondering, "Why dear god, Trevor, are you going into such a boring profession!?" Well, to put it simply, it is a good day job. Statistically it has a high satisfaction rate amongst professionals, it is stimulating on a daily basis, but nobody will die if I do something wrong. Plus I get to work in music all day! And at night and evening and weekends? I GET A LIFE!! plus the pay is decent enough to have a family on, which is also good for me!

Mind you, I like to think of my career as a day job, and leave me plenty of time to write the great American novel, or compose some brilliant music (ya, i'm sure it will be stellar...) but hell, it's my free time to enjoy all these skills I am learning or have learned.

That's my rant for this evening. Go, get poptarts now. Or hamsters, whichever floats your boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment